Facts about Child Abuse and Neglect in the United States
2015 Statistics Overview for the United States:
- 683,000 children were reported as victims of child abuse and neglect.
- Of those victims, 1,585 child fatalities were reported.
- 75.3% of child victims suffered from neglect, and 17.2% suffered from physical abuse.
Most Recent Statistics for North Carolina
- In 2013, 19,873 children were abused or neglected — 8.7 out of 1,000 children. (Source: Children’s Defense Fund)
- Between 2015 and 2016, there were 126,962 investigated reports of child abuse and neglect. (Source: Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina)
- On the last day of FY2013, there were 8,920 North Carolina children in foster care. (Source: Children’s Defense Fund)
2015 Statistics Review
Victims of abuse and neglect.
Children died from abuse and neglect.